1. Give ear, you heavens, and I will speak; Let the earth hear the words of my mouth.
2. My doctrine shall drop as the rain; My speech shall condense as the dew, As the small rain on the tender grass, As the showers on the herb.
3. For I will proclaim the name of יהוה: Ascribe greatness to our God.
4. The Rock, his work is perfect; For all his ways are justice: A God of faithfulness and without iniquity, Just and right is he.
5. They have dealt corruptly with him, they are not his children, it is their blemish; They are a perverse and crooked generation.
6. Do you thus repay יהוה, Foolish people and unwise? Isn’t he your father who has bought you? He has made you, and established you.
7. Remember the days of old, Consider the years of many generations: Ask your father, and he will show you; Your elders, and they will tell you.
8. When the Most High gave to the nations their inheritance, When he separated the children of men, He set the bounds of the peoples According to the number of the children of Israel.
9. For יהוה’s portion is his people; Jacob is the lot of his inheritance.
10. He found him in a desert land, In the waste howling wilderness; He compassed him about, he cared for him, He kept him as the apple of his eye.
11. As an eagle that stirs up her nest, That flutters over her young, He spread abroad his wings, he took them, He bore them on his feathers.
12. יהוה alone did lead him, There was no foreign god with him.
13. He made him ride on the high places of the earth, He ate the increase of the field; He made him to suck honey out of the rock, Oil out of the flinty rock;
14. Butter of the herd, and milk of the flock, With fat of lambs, Rams of the breed of Bashan, and goats, With the finest of the wheat; Of the blood of the grape you drank wine.
15. But Jeshurun grew fat, and kicked: You have grown fat, you are grown thick, you are become sleek; Then he forsook God who made him, Lightly esteemed the Rock of his salvation.
16. They moved him to jealousy with strange gods; With abominations provoked they him to anger.
17. They sacrificed to demons, which were no God, To gods that they didn’t know, To new gods that came up of late, Which your fathers didn’t dread.
18. Of the Rock that became your father, you are unmindful, You have forgotten God who gave you birth.
19. יהוה saw it, and abhorred them, Because of the provocation of his sons and his daughters.
20. He said, I will hide my face from them, I will see what their end shall be: For they are a very perverse generation, Children in whom is no faithfulness.
21. They have moved me to jealousy with that which is not God; They have provoked me to anger with their vanities: I will move them to jealousy with those who are not a people; I will provoke them to anger with a foolish nation.
22. For a fire is kindled in my anger, it burns to the lowest Sheol, It devours the earth with its increase, It sets on fire the foundations of the mountains.
23. I will heap evils on them; I will spend my arrows on them:
24. They shall be wasted with hunger, and devoured with burning heat and bitter destruction; The teeth of animals I will send on them, With the poison of crawling things of the dust.
25. Outside shall the sword bereave, Inside the chambers, terror; It shall destroy both young man and virgin, The suckling of the man of gray hairs.
26. I said, I would scatter them afar, I would make the memory of them to cease from among men;
27. Were it not that I feared the provocation of the enemy, Lest their adversaries should judge wrongly, Lest they should say, Our hand is exalted, יהוה has not done all this.
28. For they are a nation void of counsel, There is no understanding in them.
29. Oh that they were wise, that they understood this, That they would consider their latter end!
30. How should one chase a thousand, or two put ten thousand to flight, Except their Rock had sold them, יהוה had delivered them up?
31. For their rock is not as our Rock, Even our enemies themselves being judges.
32. For their vine is of the vine of Sodom, Of the fields of Gomorrah: Their grapes are grapes of gall, Their clusters are bitter:
33. Their wine is the poison of serpents, The cruel venom of asps.
34. Isn’t this laid up in store with me, Sealed up among my treasures?
35. Vengeance is mine, and recompense, At the time when their foot shall slide: For the day of their calamity is at hand, The things that are to come on them shall make haste.
36. For יהוה will judge his people, Repent himself for his servants; When he sees their power is gone, There is none remaining, shut up or left at large.
37. He will say, Where are their gods, The rock in which they took refuge;
38. Which ate the fat of their sacrifices, And drank the wine of their drink offering? Let them rise up and help you, Let them be your protection.
39. See now that I, even I, am he, There is no god with me: I kill, and I make alive; I wound, and I heal; There is none who can deliver out of my hand.
40. For I lift up my hand to heaven, And say, As I live forever,
41. If I whet my glittering sword, and my hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to my adversaries, Will recompense those who hate me.
42. I will make my arrows drunk with blood,and my sword shall devour flesh; With the blood of the slain and the captives, From the head of the leaders of the enemy.
43. Rejoice, you nations, with his people: For he will avenge the blood of his servants, and will render vengeance to his adversaries, he will make expiation for his land, and for his people.
45. Moses made an end of speaking all these words to all Israel;
46. He said to them, Set your heart to all the words which I testify to you this day, which you shall command your children to observe to do, even all the words of this law.
47. For it is no vain thing for you; because it is your life, and through this thing you shall prolong your days in the land, where you go over the Jordan to possess it.
48. יהוה spoke to Moses that same day, saying,
49. Go up into this mountain of Abarim, to Mount Nebo, which is in the land of Moab, that is over against Jericho; and see the land of Canaan, which I give to the children of Israel for a possession;
50. And die on the mountain where you go up, and be gathered to your people, as Aaron your brother died on Mount Hor, and was gathered to his people:
51. Because you trespassed against me in the midst of the children of Israel at the waters of Meribah of Kadesh, in the wilderness of Zin; because you didn’t sanctify me in the midst of the children of Israel.
52. For you shall see the land before you; but you shall not go there into the land which I give the children of Israel.
1. David spoke to יהוה the words of this song in the day that יהוה delivered him out of the hand of all his enemies, and out of the hand of Saul,
2. And he said: “ יהוה is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer, even mine;
3. God, my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my high tower, and my refuge. My savior, you save me from violence.
4. I will call on יהוה, who is worthy to be praised; So shall I be saved from my enemies.
5. For the waves of death compass me. The floods of ungodliness made me afraid.
6. The cords of Sheol were round about me. The snares of death came on me.
7. In my distress, I called on יהוה. Yes, I called to my God. He heard my voice out of his temple. My cry came into his ears.
8. Then the earth shook and trembled. The foundations of heaven quaked. They were shaken, because he was angry.
9. There went up smoke out of his nostrils. Fire out of his mouth devoured. Coals were kindled by it.
10. He bowed the heavens also, and came down. Thick darkness was under his feet.
11. He rode on a cherub, and did fly. Yes, he was seen on the wings of the wind.
12. He made darkness pavillions around himself: gathering of waters, thick clouds of the skies.
13. At the brightness before him coals of fire were kindled.
14. יהוה thundered from heaven. The Most High uttered his voice.
15. He sent out arrows, and scattered them; lightning, and confused them.
16. Then the channels of the sea appeared. The foundations of the world were laid bare by the rebuke of יהוה at the blast of the breath of his nostrils.
17. He sent from on high, he took me. He drew me out of many waters.
18. He delivered me from my strong enemy, from those who hated me, for they were too mighty for me.
19. They came on me in the day of my calamity, but יהוה was my stay.
20. He brought me forth also into a large place. He delivered me, because he delighted in me.
21. יהוה rewarded me according to my righteousness. According to the cleanness of my hands has he recompensed me.
22. For I have kept the ways of יהוה, and have not wickedly departed from my God.
23. For all his ordinances were before me. As for his statutes, I did not depart from them.
24. I was also perfect toward him. I kept myself from my iniquity.
25. Therefore has יהוה recompensed me according to my righteousness. According to my cleanness in his eyes.
26. With the merciful you will show yourself merciful. With the perfect man you will show yourself perfect.
27. With the pure you will show yourself pure. With the crooked you will show yourself shrewd.
28. The afflicted people you will save, but your eyes are on the haughty, that you may bring them down.
29. For you are my lamp, יהוה .יהוה will lighten my darkness.
30. For by you, I've run on a troop. And by my God, I leap over a wall.
31. As for God, his way is perfect. The word of יהוה is tried. He is a shield to all those who take refuge in him.
32. For who is God, save יהוה? Who is a rock, save our God?
33. God is my strong fortress. He guides the perfect in his way.
34. He makes his feet like hinds’ feet, sets me on my high places.
35. He teaches my hands to war so that my arms do bend a bow of brass.
36. You have also given me the shield of your salvation. Your gentleness has made me great.
37. You have enlarged my steps under me. My feet have not slipped.
38. I have pursued my enemies and destroyed them. Neither did I turn again until they were consumed.
39. I have consumed them, and struck them through, so that they can’t arise. Yes, they are fallen under my feet.
40. For you have girded me with strength for the battle. You have subdued under me those who rose up against me.
41. You have also made my enemies turn their backs to me, that I might cut off those who hate me.
42. They looked, but there was none to save; even to יהוה, but he didn’t answer them.
43. Then I beat them small as the dust of the earth. I did crush them as the mire of the streets, and did spread them abroad.
44. You also have delivered me from the strivings of my people. You have kept me to be the head of the nations. A people whom I have not known shall serve me.
45. The foreigners shall submit themselves to me. As soon as they hear of me, they shall obey me.
46. The foreigners shall fade away. They shall come trembling out of their close places.
47. יהוה lives! Blessed be my rock! Exalted be God, the rock of my salvation,
48. Even the God who executes vengeance for me, who brings down peoples under me,
49. Who brings me away from my enemies. Yes, you lift me up above those who rise up against me. You deliver me from the violent man.
50. Therefore I will give thanks to you, יהוה, among the nations. I will sing praises to your name.
51. Great deliverance He gives to his king. He shows loving kindness to his anointed, to David and his seed, forever more.”
It is a tree of life for those who cling to it, and those who uphold it are happy. Its ways are pleasant, and all of its paths peaceful.
Return us to you, Lord, so that we shall return, renew our days as of old.