23. I begged יהוה at that time, saying,
25. Please let me go over and see the good land that is beyond the Jordan, that goodly mountain, and Lebanon."
27. Go up to the top of Pisgah, and lift up your eyes westward, and northward, and southward, and eastward, and see with your eyes: for you shall not go over this Jordan.
28. But charge Joshua, and encourage him, and strengthen him; for he shall go over before this people, and he shall cause them to inherit the land which you shall see."
29. So we abode in the valley over against Beth Peor.
1. Now, Israel, listen to the statutes and to the ordinances, which I teach you, to do them; that you may live, and go in and possess the land which
2. You shall not add to the word which I command you, neither shall you diminish from it, that you may keep the commandments of
3. Your eyes have seen what
4. But you who did cling to
5. Behold, I have taught you statutes and ordinances, even as
6. Keep therefore and do them; for this is your wisdom and your understanding in the sight of the peoples, who shall hear all these statutes, and say, "Surely this great nation is a wise and understanding people."
7. For what great nation is there, that has a god so near to them, as
8. What great nation is there, that has statutes and ordinances so righteous as all this law, which I set before you this day?
9. Only take heed to yourself, and keep your soul diligently, lest you forget the things which your eyes saw, and lest they depart from your heart all the days of your life; but make them known to your children and your children's children;
10. The day that you stood before יהוה your God in Horeb, when יהוה said to me, "Assemble me the people, and I will make them hear my words, that they may learn to fear me all the days that they live on the earth, and that they may teach their children."
11. You came near and stood under the mountain; and the mountain burned with fire to the heart of the sky, with darkness, cloud, and thick darkness.
13. He declared to you his covenant, which he commanded you to perform, even the ten commandments; and he wrote them on two tables of stone.
15. Take therefore good heed to yourselves; for you saw no manner of form on the day that
16. Lest you corrupt
17. The likeness of any animal that is on the earth, the likeness of any winged bird that flies in the sky,
18. The likeness of anything that creeps on the ground, the likeness of any fish that is in the water under the earth;
19. And lest you lift up your eyes to the sky, and when you see the sun and the moon and the stars, even all the hosts of the sky, you are drawn away and worship them, and serve them, which
22. But I must die in this land, I must not go over the
23. Take heed to yourselves, lest you forget the covenant of
25. When you shall father children, and children's children, and you shall have been long in the land, and shall corrupt yourselves, and make an engraved image in the form of anything, and shall do that which is evil in the sight of יהוה your God, to provoke him to anger;
26. I call heaven and earth to witness against you this day, that you shall soon utterly perish from off the land whereunto you go over the Jordan to possess it; you shall not prolong your days on it, but shall utterly be destroyed.
28. There you shall serve gods, the work of men's hands,
29. But from there you shall seek
30. When you are in oppression, and all these things are come
32. For ask now of the days that are past, which were before you, since the day that God created man on the earth, and from the one end of the sky to the other, whether there has been any such thing as this great thing is, or has been heard like it?
33. Did ever a people hear the voice of God speaking out of the midst of the fire, as you have heard, and live?
34. Or has God tried to go and take him a nation from the midst of another nation, by trials, by signs, and by wonders, and by war, and by a mighty hand, and by an outstretched arm, and by great terrors, according to all that יהוה your God did for you in Egypt before your eyes?
35. To you, it was shown, that you might know that יהוה, he is God. There is none else besides him.
36. Out of heaven he made you
37. Because he loved your fathers, therefore he chose their seed after them, and brought you out with his presence, and with his great power, out of Egypt;
38. To drive out nations from before you greater and mightier than you, to bring you in, to give you their land for an inheritance, as at this day.
39. Know therefore this day, and lay it to your heart, that
40. You shall keep his statutes, and his commandments, which I command you this day, that it may go well with you, and with your children after you, and that you may prolong your days in the land, which
41. Then Moses set apart three cities beyond the Jordan toward the sunrise;
42. That the manslayer might flee there, who kills his neighbor
43. Namely, Bezer in the wilderness, in the plain country, for the Reubenites; and Ramoth in Gilead, for the Gadites; and Golan in Bashan, for the Manassites.
44. This is the law which Moses set before the children of Israel:
45. These are the testimonies, and the statutes, and the ordinances, which Moses spoke to the children of
46. Beyond the Jordan, in the valley over against Beth Peor, in the land of Sihon, king of the Amorites, who lived at Heshbon, whom Moses and the children of Israel struck, when they came forth out of Egypt.
47. They took his land in possession, and the land of Og, king of Bashan, the two kings of the Amorites, who were beyond the Jordan toward the sunrise;
48. From Aroer, which is on the edge of the valley of the Arnon, even to Mount Sion (the same is Hermon),
49. And all the Arabah beyond the Jordan eastward, even to the sea of the Arabah, under the slopes of Pisgah.
1. Moses called to all Israel, and said to them, Hear, Israel, the statutes and the ordinances which I speak in your ears this day, that you may learn them, and observe to do them.
4. יהוה spoke with you face to face on the mountain out of the midst of the fire,
5. (I stood between יהוה and you at that time, to show you the word of
6. "I am
7. "You shall have no other gods before me.
8. "You shall not make an engraved image for yourself, nor any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:
9. You shall not bow down yourself to them, nor serve them; for I,
10. And showing loving kindness to thousands of those who love me and keep my commandments.
11. "You shall not take the name of
12. "Observe the Sabbath day, to keep it holy, as
13. Six days shall you labor and do all your work;
14. But the seventh day is a Sabbath to יהוה your God, in
15. You shall remember that you were a servant in the land of Egypt, and
16. "Honor your father and your mother, as
17. "You shall not murder.
18. "Neither shall you commit adultery.
19. "Neither shall you steal.
20. "Neither shall you give false testimony against your neighbor.
21. "Neither shall you covet your neighbor's wife; neither shall you desire your neighbor's house, his field, or his
22. These words
23. It happened, when you heard the voice out of the midst of the darkness, while the mountain was burning with fire, that you came near to me, even all the heads of your tribes, and your elders;
24. And you said, "Behold,
26. For who is there of all flesh, that has heard the voice of the living God speaking out of the midst of the fire, as we have, and lived?
27. Go near, and hear all that יהוה our God shall say: and tell us all that יהוה our God shall speak to
30. "Go tell them, Return to your tents.
31. But as for you, you stand here by me, and I will speak to you all the commandment, and the statutes, and the ordinances, which you shall teach them, that they may do them in the land which I give them to possess it."
32. You shall observe to do therefore as
33. You shall walk in all the way which
1. Now this is the commandment, the statutes, and the ordinances, which יהוה your God commanded to teach you, that you might do them in the land where you go over to possess it;
2. That you might fear
4. Hear, Israel: יהוה is our God; יהוה is one:
5. And you shall love
6. These words, which I command you this day, shall be
7. And you shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise up.
8. You shall bind them for a sign on your hand, and they shall be for symbols between your eyes.
9. You shall write them on the door posts of your house, and on your gates.
10. It shall be, when יהוה your God shall bring you into the land which he swore to your fathers, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, to give you, great and goodly cities, which you didn't build,
11. And houses full of good things, which you didn't fill, and cisterns dug out, which you didn't dig, vineyards and olive trees, which you didn't plant, and you shall eat and be full;
12. Then beware lest you forget
13. You shall fear יהוה your
14. You shall not go after other gods, of the gods of the people who are
16. You shall not tempt
17. You shall diligently keep the commandments of
18. You shall do that which is right and good in the sight of
19. To thrust out all your enemies from before you, as
20. When your son asks you in time to come, saying, "What mean the testimonies, the statutes, and the ordinances, which יהוה our God has commanded you?"
21. Then you shall tell your son, "We were Pharaoh's bondservants in Egypt: and יהוה brought us out of Egypt with a mighty hand;
22. And יהוה showed signs and wonders, great and awesome, on Egypt, on Pharaoh, and on all his house, before our eyes;
23. And he brought us out from there, that he might bring us in, to give us the land which he swore to our fathers.
25. It shall be righteousness to
2. And when יהוה your God shall deliver them up before you, and you shall strike them; then you shall utterly destroy them: you shall make no covenant with them, nor show mercy to them;
3. Neither shall you make marriages with them; your daughter you shall not give to his son, nor his daughter shall you
4. For he will turn away your son from following me, that they may serve other gods: so will
5. But thus shall you deal with them: you shall break down their altars, and dash in pieces their pillars, and hew down their Asherim, and burn their engraved images with fire.
6. For you are a holy people to
7. יהוה didn't set his love on you, nor choose
8. But because
9. Know therefore that יהוה your God, he is God, the faithful God, who keeps covenant and loving kindness with them who love him and keep his commandments to a thousand generations,
10. And repays those who hate him to their face, to destroy them: he will not be slack to him who hates him, he will repay him to his face.
Haftarah - Isaiah 40:1-40:26
1. "Comfort you, comfort
2. "Speak comfortably to Jerusalem; and cry to her that her warfare is accomplished, that her iniquity is pardoned, that she has received of יהוה's hand double for all her sins."
3. The voice of one who cries, "Prepare you in the wilderness the way of יהוה!
4. Every valley shall be exalted, and every mountain and hill shall be made low. And the uneven shall be made level, and the rough places a plain.
5. And the glory of יהוה shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together; for the mouth of יהוה has spoken it."
6. The voice of one saying, "Cry!" One said, "What shall I cry?" "All flesh
7. The grass withers, the flower fades, because the breath יהוה blows on it. Surely the people are as grass.
8. The grass withers, the flower
9. You who tell good news to Zion, go up on a high mountain. You who tell good news to Jerusalem, lift up your voice with strength. Lift up. Don't be afraid. And say to the cities of Judah, "Behold, your God!"
10. Behold, יהוה G-d will come as a mighty one, and his arm will rule for him. Behold, his reward is with him, and his recompense before him.
11. He will feed his flock like a shepherd. He will gather the lambs in his arm, and carry them in his bosom. And will gently lead those who have their young.
12. Who has measured the waters in the hollow of his hand, and
13. Who has directed the Spirit of
14. With whom, took he counsel, and who instructed him, and taught him in the path of justice, and taught him knowledge, and showed him the way of understanding?
15. Behold, the nations are like a drop in a bucket, and are regarded as a speck of dust on a balance. Behold, he lifts up the islands like a very little thing.
16. Lebanon is not sufficient to burn, nor its animals sufficient for a burnt offering.
17. All the nations are like nothing before him. They are regarded by him as less than nothing and vanity.
18. To whom then will you liken God? Or what likeness will you compare to him?
19. A workman has cast an image, and the goldsmith overlays it with gold and casts silver chains for it.
20. He who is too impoverished for such an offering chooses a tree that will not rot. He seeks a skillful workman to set up an engraved image for him that will not be moved.
21. Haven't you known? Haven't you heard, yet? Haven't you been told from the beginning? Haven't you understood from the foundations of the earth?
22. It is he who sits above the circle of the earth, and its inhabitants are like grasshoppers; who stretches out the heavens like a curtain, and spreads them out like a tent to dwell in;
23. Who brings princes to nothing; who makes the judges of the earth like meaningless.
24. They are planted scarcely. They are sown scarcely. Their stock has scarcely taken root in the ground. He merely blows on them, and they wither, and the whirlwind takes them away as stubble.
25. "To whom then will you liken me? Who is my equal?" says the Holy One.
26. Lift up your eyes on high, and see who has created these, who brings out their army by number. He calls them all by name. by the greatness of his might, and because he is strong in power, Not one is lacking.
It is a tree of life for those who cling to it,
and those who uphold it are happy!
Its ways are pleasant and all of its paths peaceful.
Return us to you, Lord, so that we shall return,
Renew our days as of old.