• Followers 17
  • Following 0
  • Updates 0

Weekly Parashah: Toldot - Living Water

Judy Howard
@judy-howard
7 years ago
28 posts

It is really difficult to read these Parashahs and find something new.  We know how the story ends therefore, I can gloss over areas that really do say something of value while I am just trying to get to the end or my favorite part.  That was this week for me.  

This week what kept making a debut were those wells that Isaac re-dug.  I knew about them but just really didn't care, do you know what I mean?  There is that other story of lies, intrigue and hatred that makes this Torah Portion such a sensation.  I was listening to Aleph Beta and there the wells were discussed but it wasn't until I read Genesis with the Baal Shem Tov that something started to click.  In the "Mystical Teachings on The Weekly Torah Portion," {Commentary by Rabbi Doctor Eliezer Shore} the Baal Shem Tov has this to say,

This is the mystery of all the wells that the Forefathers dug in order to find water-meaning Torah-in the "earth"- i.e. on the lowest level.  For each of them, by perfecting his character traits, brought forth a revelation of Torah-"a well of living water" Toldot 26:19-from the earth and the lowest levels, so that it not be covered over again.  

However, after Avraham died, these revelations were sealed up by the "earth" that covered the "water."  This was due to the Philistines - the impure shells that reasserted themselves.  But Isaac came and redug the wells, as it is written" "He redug the wells that had been dug in the days of his father Abraham." Toldot 26:18  This too refers to the revelation of Torah by Abraham and Isaac.  And even today, Torah lies hidden in those very deeds of Abraham and Isaac.  And all of this was to repair the future generations.  For were it not for the Forefathers, it would be impossible to have any understanding of Torah, and to draw close to G-d at all.

Inner fear of G-d is called "Rechovos,' for there is no fear of the Kelipot there, so that one must limit oneself because of them - - through suffering, small mindedness and self affliction to prevent them from leeching on to holiness.  Rather, "Now G-d has broadened us" with the inner essence of fear that is called Rechovos.  Then "we shall be fruitful in the land" - we will give forth fruits, to turn the multitude from sin, to be a Rabbi and a Rebbe, to uplift and create souls.  However if a person is a Rabbi or Rebbe yet lacks inner fear, he is from the Kelipot nogah.  (  Kelipat  Nogah can be uplifted and refined.   From Chabad,http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/361900/jewish/Kelipot-and-Sitra-Achra.htm)

I find this so cool!  I never thought of "living water" as Torah or even as HaShem only as the Holy Spirit.  But look at these....

Jeremiah 2:13  " For My people  have committed   two   evils:   They have forsaken   Me, The fountain   of living   waters,   To hew   for themselves cisterns,   Broken   cisterns   That can   hold   no   water.

Zechariah 14:8 And in that day living waters will flow out of Jerusalem, half of them toward the eastern sea and the other half toward the western sea; it will be in summer as well as in winter.

Jeremiah 17:13 O LORD, the hope of Israel, All who forsake You will be put to shame. Those who turn away on earth will be written down, Because they have forsaken the fountain of living water, even the LORD.

JPS Tanakh 1917
And Isaac's servants digged in the valley, and found there a well of living water.

It just doesn't get any more clearer than that.   Except let us not forget the Samaritan woman at the well.

John 4:13   “Everyone who drinks of this water will thirst again;  14  but whoever drinks of the water that I will give him shall never thirst; but the water that I will give him will become in him a well of water springing up to eternal life.”

updated by @judy-howard: 17 Nov 2017 10:17:34